Friday, May 05, 2006

Decisions, Decisions

We had a meeting at Kaitlyn's school the other night to determine what school the kids in our neighborhood should go to. Seems like they really don't know where to put us. Half of our community go to one school and the other half go to the other school. East vs West. Well the meeting was pretty informative. One thing I didn't know what that with the school Kaitlyn goes to right now when she gets to middle school she will not be going to the same middle school as all of the friends she is making currently. I don't like that because I think when children hit the middle school age they really need their friends to help guide them through that really awkward time.
At the meeting we were given 7 choices. Only one of which seems like a good choice to me, but the other parents were not happy about that choice. It was to send them all to the year round school that is right up the street from us. (the other parents didn't like the year round idea...I'm not too sure how I feel on that one.)
Aaron and I got to talking about it and we really liked the principal of the year round school. I was told that we could go get a special permit to have her put into that school. The changes that the school board are looking into would not happen until the 07-08 school year. We think if she has to change it would benefit her to change now. So, I went and toured the school. It was really nice, and they are remodling it this summer so it will be even better when she gets there. We talked with her about it and she seems to like the idea ok. She will miss the friends she made this year, but really why wait and let her bond further with those friends when she will be pulled away from them later. So, it looks like change is in order for her and us, but in the long run we think it will be the best for her...
Now we just have to decide on what track we like!


Stacy said...

I don't mind the year round thing at all...we are on B track. It was either A or B because if we wanted to go home for Christmas we could either be gone a long time before Christmas or after.

What a decision you have to make...that totally stinks!!

Shannon said...

Thanks Stacy, we picked B track and if we don't get B then we picked D track (cause that is what Dakota is on and ya know we have to have the same as Dakota on everything... :0) that is a girl for you).
I picked B track for the same reason as you...that we can go home for Christmas anytime durring December and not have to worry about when to come back.
It would be nice if we do get B track then we will be able to hang out more!

Lilian said...

It's hard to make decisions like this. I can tell you though, that no matter what friends are made in elementary school, they still make friends in Jr. High very easily. I remember sending my boys and worrying that they won't fit in, or won't make friends. They've all done just fine. One funny thing though... My oldest son made a friend in the 5th grade and they went to different jr. high schools. They stayed friends throughout and came together again in high school. They are still the strongest nad best of friends. I'm sure that you will make the right choice for YOUR CHILD because that is all that matters!

Michele said...

What a tough decision, but I think that your thoughts behind the one you made make a lot of sense. I agree that Jr. high is a difficult time because of all the changes that kids go through at that age. If she is going to have to change schools or friends, that I think it's better to do it earlier rather than later.

I do have to say though, that my two best friends from Jr. High and I were seperated when we went to High School. I did fine with making new friends, but it was very stressful for me. I wanted to go to the same school as they went to, and district lines said I should've, but it was not a good school so my parents got an inter-district transfer.

I'm sure you will make the decision that is best for your family. Either way, I'm sure that your daughter will handle it well! HUGS!!!