Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My way of relaxing.

Do you have something that you do that totally relaxes you and other people would just find it tedious and crazy? For me that is cutting things out. For instance titles on my scrapbook pages are always cut out by hand. I keep thinking about purchasing one of those new cutters that you hook up to your computer, but while creating this page the other day I found that this is what is relaxing to me.
I think my great grandmother (Mammom is what we called her) must have passed this love on to me. She cut out everything and saved it to put on cards and envelopes to make things look special. She told me the story of why she did that, and I think I'd like to share it with you...
When my Mammom was a little girl she had asked a babysitter to cut something out for her. Well, the babysitter cut it out, but did a terrible job of doing it and left the edges all jagged and awful looking, so Mammom said she vowed that as soon as she was old enough to use scissors she would always cut things out nicely...and she ALWAYS did. She was phenominal with the scissors.
So now whenever I am working on a title I end up thinking about my Mammom and her scissors. And yes cutting out these little tiny letters by hand is something that I enjoy doing. And I have figured out that THIS is what makes my style so me. Almost every page has a hand cut title. It might not be Creating Keepsakes worthy, but it doesn't need to be. I like my style just the way it is.
And just to let you know a little bit about this page.... The picture was taken by my dad at my cousin's wedding last August. The journaling reads: "Aidan, I love this picture Poppa took of you at Scotts wedding. What fun it was for you to drink out of a special "grown up" glass, but this picture also reminds me that someday you wont be my beautiful baby boy, but all grown up drinking champagne at your own wedding...and while I look forward to that day I am so not ready to give up the sticky hugs and kisses and having you all to myself. I love you my beautiful baby boy. Love, Mommy"
Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful page Shannon. I love the journaling! I love that story about your Mammom as well! It's interesting to find out why we do certain things the way we do...
And your page doesn't have to be Creating Keepsakes worthy, it's about OUR pages in OUR albums! However, I'd almost bet they'd publish the page just on the merits of the story as to why you cut your own title by hand. I's a gorgeous page nonetheless!

Anonymous said...

AWWW!!!! That is such beautiful journaling (on your post and on the page!) I am so glad that i saw this blog post of yours. That is such a NEAT story about your Mammom! Thanks for sharing that special story with us. Btw... beautiful page!

Anonymous said...

WOW Shannon. I think you need to do a page about you Mammom and her scissors. I'm right there with you, I find it relaxing cutting small things out. Then, you get the little thrill of success when completed. Your title looks beautiful and so does your page. Aiden is just so darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Shannon, what a beautiful story about your Mammom and her scissors! I'm glad you decided to share this on your blog, and I agree that you should create a layout about that story. Your way of relaxing leads to something beautiful which is a wonderful thing! Your page looks awesome, and I LOVE the journaling you wrote! You know what? If CK didn't publish this layout then it's definitely THEIR loss. It's beautiful and special to you, and that's what counts. I loved meeting Aidan! He is a sweet little boy, and your jounaling reflects your love for him!! Beautiful entry, Shannon!!