Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lots of thinking and prayers going on around here lately.

Recently, I posted on how my job is hard to take time off. Even though it is an at home job. Lately, I feel like I am missing out on a lot with my family due to work. My schedule is changing on Sunday and things will be a bit better, but it is still a pain if I have to get sometime off. I feel like I am in my "Dungeon" ( that is what we call the basement) working, and getting paid hardly anything for what I endure each shift. While if I was working outside the home and had a direct boss I feel like I could talk with them and get the time off I need. And while if I had more of a career instead of an entry level job, I would feel ok about not getting the time off.
Take 6 hours of non stop talking to people and add jerks every three or four calls...cussing you out, asking you rediculous questions and just plain being rude and nasty to you. It just starts to wear you down. I have worked in Customer service related positions before and have never been treated this badly. I think being "ananomous" to the person you are talking to helps people feel like they can treat you however you want, it really shows the true attitudes of people.
So, what am I thinking and praying about. I am thinking of applying for a flight attendant job with another airline. I know that I would still be dealing with mean nasty and rude people. I know that I would still be away from my family, much more so actually. But I would be making double the pay of what I am right now. I would have other people around me who would be going through the same thing, and at the end of the day be able to commiserate with me.
I have emailed a friend of mine who is a flight attendant, and she gave me some wonderful information...Thanks Kim! I have talked with Aaron about it at length. The job which Aaron is working right now allows him the flexibility to work around a more hectic schedule for myself...which makes us feel that this may be the right time to pursue a career rather than an entry level position. Kaitlyn is now in school full time and Aidan is asking more and more everyday when he can go to school too, so I think the kids would be alright with it...but would I? I know the first few years until I had some seniority built up would be esp. hard.
And now I am praying about it. Sky West airlines is having group interviews in a week. While one side of me would like to stay with JetBlue it is just not possible for flight attending as I would not be stationed in Salt Lake city, more than likely it would be New York or Florida. At least with Sky West they do have a hub here so I *might* be able to be stationed here.
Anyways, I can use lots of prayers for the decision that we are trying to make around here. Right now we are leaning towards me applying for it, but I am not %100 sure on that.

10 comments:

Stacy said...

WOW! I will be praying for you. That is a hard decision to make, but I am sure you will come up with the right choice for you.

Kim said...

Shannon, you and your family are in my prayers. I pray for the Lord to give you some guidance and peace in your heart concerning this matter.
Yes, it is a difficult decision, but with a great husband (Aaron!)your more than half way there. There will be times you miss your family so much, it physically hurts. But, on the bright side, when your home, your HOME! Oh, and, another good note, usually when we get the passengers, they aren't such bugger butts because they are on their way! Call me if you need to talk.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a tough decision! I will pray that Heavenly Father will guide you in what is best for you and your family. Good luck in what you decide.

Amy said...

I can certainly feel for you! It took me a lot of thought and prayer to decide to apply for the doctorate program I'm applying to. I'm still scared that I might actually get in! I decided that time was moving on no matter what I did, so I might as well spend the next 3 years doing something to advance my careeer. Good luck at the interview!

Anonymous said...

WOW, good luck Shannon!

Unknown said...

Just bring Aidan to us and Aaron,Kaitlyn, and you when your in town on weekends can come visit, or we can bring him up.

Love Ya'll
Daddwamp

ps no really I mean it!!!!!

Unknown said...

pps we have kids and a horse to ride and a basement and a extra TV and toys and pappa!!!!

Daddwamp

Leigh said...

Good luck Shannon! I will be praying for you. I know you'll do great with whatever you decide to do. Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

Well, since I already read the entry that you did AFTER this one, I already know you made your decision. I feel you made the right one, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that you find the perfect job very soon!!!

Anonymous said...

kids need MOM, papas are nice, but moms are best......